Can I get online on my macbook pro when not on wifi network?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Soundhound, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

Are there any PC Cards (I think that's what they were called) that allow you to get online when out of wifi range, when traveling etc.? Or I think I'd heard about a way you can connect your macbook to your iphone, and piggyback the connection that way, I think called a Leash perhaps? I'm travelling to my in-laws, who don't have wifi and we're trying to figure out how to get online there with our macbooks. thanks!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It's not called "leashing" it's called "tethering" You can connect your phone to your computer and access the internet like that. You might need to to do some kind of hack to enable the tethering unless your phone is unlocked. For example, the tethering works on my phone, but only cause I'm on T-Mobile. :)

3. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I tether my BlackBerry Bold using Bluetooth on AT&T all the time without adding the tethering package. I'm just careful not to download too much. I've seen it work on the iPhone, but you need to install a hack. Just search for "AT&T iPhone tether hack" on Google and you should be able to find some tutorials online.

4. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Do your inlaws have internet at all? If so, just go old school and wire up with the ethernet. If that really turns you off, buy an Air Port Express station (about $100) and plug it into a wall and plug your in-laws ethernet cable into the APE. Instant wireless network that you can take with you.

5. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everybody, I think I'm gonna try out the tethering and see if it works. The idea of going old school and using their wired connection is a possiblity too, I just didn't want to screw up their internet connection...