iPad Can I get regular AppleCare, not plus, for my ipad 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mattfab, Apr 6, 2013.

1. mattfab macrumors member

I bought my ipad 4 back in December, but never thought to buy AppleCare. But recently I decided it would be a good idea to have a warranty for it, but its been past 30 days. I've read a little bit about how there used to be regular AppleCare, not plus, and u were allowed to get it within a year of buying your ipad. My question is does that still exist, because I don't really bring my ipad out of my house much at all, so I won't need accidental damage coverage or whatever, I just need something that will cover me if some software problems happen, like if the screen starts to not work or the home button stops working, or even if it just dies on its own. I know the failure rate is low, but it would give me a piece of mind. So does this regular AppleCare still exist, or any other warranty out there that I can get 3 months after the purchase date. Also, I bought it at best buy, so idk if that will make a difference. Thanks

2. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Unfortunately, you can't. Apple completely replaced AppleCare for ios devices with AppleCare+.

3. mattfab thread starter macrumors member

Damn, that's too bad. Thanks for lettin me know

4. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Unless something has charged in the last 3 months that isn't true.

The stores can't do anything but phone support is more than happy to sell you the vanilla applecare. However they warned me that it can't be swapped for AppleCare+ if I dropped my iPad etc. so I declined and decided to wait to see if it got dropped within the year. It's a work iPad so the likelihood is strong that it will and then I can do a replace and add at time of incident.

5. mattfab thread starter macrumors member

What is vanilla applecare

6. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

AppleCare without the accidental damage coverage - phone support, extended coverage for factory defects, etc..

You can purchase "vanilla" AppleCare any time within the original warranty period (1 year for iOS devices). It'll be offered to you if you call AppleCare for support. You can also call AppleCare if you simply want to buy the coverage.