Can I get rid of feedback from Garageband?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by oxband, Nov 12, 2013.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

I am using Garageband 09' (version 5.1) with a M-Audio Firewire Solo. Whe I connect the microphone with an XLR cable, it works fine. However, when I connect the acoustic guitar (I'm using the Dean Markey transducer for my pickup), it's not very loud, and when I turn the volume up to get any decent volume, I am always getting some feedback. I've tried different patch cables but I'm still getting feedback. This is so frustrating. When I play with the recording level in Garageband, it doesn't change. It changes when I adjust the level on the Firewire Solo.

Anyone have suggestions as to how to fix it? The Firewire Solo is old....it's from 2006. So I wonder if that's the problem. But I wonder if I can solve this without needing to buy something new.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

You mean when you turn the monitor speakers up you get feedback?

If so, there is not a lot you can do other then buy some closed back headphones. You really can't record with monitor speakers. Acoustic guitars have a sound hole and chamber and a thin wood top and all that is very good and picking up the sound from the speakers. Solid body electrics are better at rejecting feedback

3. oxband thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe I wasn't clean. If I turn up the gain on the Firewire solo, the noise gets louder or softer. It's not a headphone issue. I have no feedback when recording with the XLR microphone.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Seems like the pickup on the guitar is not putting out a large signal. Isn't there sow kind of volume control on the guitar you can turn up. You've tried changing the battery? Is the caustic pickup broken?

Is there a switch (in software or hardware) to switch the input on the audio interface between line and instrument levels?

I'd look for the reason for the low signal level.

5. oxband thread starter macrumors 6502

it's an acoustic guitar. there is no way to increase the pickup on the guitar. is it possible the Firewire Solo just doesn't boost the sound enough?

6. halfcack, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

halfcack macrumors newbie

Suggestion

I use the TC-Helicon Voice Touch. It has separate headphone and speaker outputs so feedback has never been a problem.

I'm sort of fortunate because there is no reason that it should work at all. It has a separate mic xlr, an aux stereo input for my keyboard and a lot of other ins and outs.

I had a problem once. I've used the iPad 2, the 3, the 4 and now the iPad Air with 128 gig. There was the feedback you have described. It was for a short period and it went away?

I forgot what I was doing at the time but the mic on the iPad was open, why, I don't know.

If anyone else is having a problem it may be associated with the new 64 bit GarageBand, I really doubt it but I also checked the crosstalk switch, it was in the factory set position to off.

I still don't know where it came from but recently it came back. I adjusted the headphone and speaker knobs to the off position without a mic plugged in and it didn't matter, the feedback was still there. That narrows it down because my keyboard is a direct input. It has to be an open on board iPad mic.

I haven't had time to mess with it but it will present a major problem.

I'm sorry for this non answer post but sometimes I read someone else's and it ticks something and I usually find the problem.