Can I get rrid of mt tom tom?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stuartteach, Jun 15, 2009.

1. stuartteach macrumors member

HI all, as Im upgrading to the 3GS, is there any need for me to keep my tom tom?? will tom tom be available straight away?? will jsyt need to buy the screen attatchment yes?

Cheers

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'd probably wait for the app and the mount to ship and for people to review it before I'd ditch your standalone unit entirely.

3. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

I agree i would wait...

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If you're looking to sell your TomTom it might make sense to do it sooner rather than later. It won't be keeping it's price as well i'd imagine. We'll see, but i'd imagine there might be some price reductions across many models to compete with the satnav apps and products for the iphone in the coming months.

5. gwfattwkr macrumors member

I ditched my Tom Tom for the same reason.

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

This is true, but if the App/mount wind up not being all they're cracked up to be, then he's out a solution he already knows to work.

The grammatical structure of that sentence gives me the bends.

7. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

No

I won't be ditching my TomTom and here is why... What if you want to do something else on your phone besides turn by turn directions? Listen to Pandora, iPod, use Safari, Urbanspoon, email, messaging.... I doubt if I'm reading an email that TomTom will interrupt to say, "turn right" so I'll keep my TT One XL.

Just my $.02

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

You read e-mails while you're driving?

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Who said anything about driving? He could be a passenger.

If I'm a passenger on a long road trip, I don't want to be able to not use my phone. I won't even bother with the Tom Tom app. I have a Garmin Nuvi GPS unit that works great and leaves me free to use my phone.

10. phannon666 macrumors regular

^This.

Hope I never have to drive in Detroit...

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I suppose it does depend on your personal usage habits, but TomTom has already said that the mount will allow you to make and take hands-free calls, and it has an audio out to listen to music.

I'm all about the convergence, so that sounds fine to me.

12. gwfattwkr macrumors member

if i am going on a long road trip its not likley I will need the GPS the entire time, i am sure you will be able to store your destination info and quickly go back to it. Beside when your driving your driving, no need to look at emails, if you got a bluetooth a phone call will be a snap to switch over to.

13. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

And I travel quite a bit for work.... I bring my TT with me. Look out world.....:p Just last week drove from Long Island to Massachusets... Most of it was heavy traffic but north of Hartford, forget it... 3 lanes of nothing. Heck yeah I'm gonna read / compose email or txt messages when I'm not in heavy traffic.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It still won't let you check emails or play games or use other apps.

Tom Tom is going to have to price the cradle and app very cheaply, otherwise people will just go for a standalone GPS unit

15. gwfattwkr macrumors member

lots of travel is different, as a former cell tower tech a GPS was a must.
    I am not sure how people found remote places before GPS.

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Eh. I think to people like me, it's all about having to carry less. My iPhone will either be plugged in and playing music or being used to make calls. I can do both of those while using it as a GPS unit, so there's no downside for me. It's just one less device to have to deal with.

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

They used to physically print maps on paper, I'm told

18. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

LOL post of the day!

19. stuartteach thread starter macrumors member

cheers for the replys everyone....im going to sell the tom tom, the only time i use is is when my girlfriend is in uni and I travel down there to see her, Im usually alone in the car so wouldnt be reading emaile etc!

PS - sorry for the terrible spelling in my OP! didnt see!! doh

20. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

and when you sell it you will be able to use the money you made on purchasing the tom tom app.. I hear its gonna be expensive (rumors)

21. jfreak623 macrumors 6502

what happens when you following your directions on the iphone tom tom and you get a call? Directions go away and cant get them back until you end call?

22. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

You can accept the call and then go right back into the app, all while continuing the call.

23. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I've gotta say that this tomtom app is one of the main reasons I'm buying an iPhone.

I plan on making a lot of trips up and down the east cost this year, so I think it'll be worth it.

What is the skinny on price? Are we looking at $50/app or $100/app + dock?

That about the most I'd be willing to pay. Are there similar apps on other Devices? What is that pricing like?