Can I get the HE discount on 2 laptops

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sanzu3, Aug 31, 2007.

1. sanzu3 macrumors regular

sanzu3

OKay, so i order a MBP a few days ago and got the higher education discount (14%). Now I was just talking to a friend who wants to order a macbook but doesn't qualify for the discount - will Apple let me order a second MBP so quickly ?????

2. uMac macrumors 6502

I believe its once per academic year, so it depends on when they reset the clock.

3. sanzu3 thread starter macrumors regular

sanzu3

yeah that makes sense.... what a bore ...mind you, maybe I can pretend to be him an blag it

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If he doesn't qualify then you aren't entitled to this discount so its dishonest. You are welcome to see if you qualify for another machine, though I really wouldn't try and pretend to be him as if it fails Apple will be very annoyed and it may affect future purchases ;).

5. sanzu3 thread starter macrumors regular

sanzu3

I consider him to be a student of life and thus should be entitled to a discount like anyone how actually goes to college;)

6. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I never heard of any limit when it came to education discounts. I know the student developer discount is a one time thing, but those are much higher than a regular student discount. If I were you I would just walk into an Apple store if you have one near you and try to buy one with student ID. I don't think they will say anything. Worst they can do is say no :)

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple imposed a purchasing limit under the student discount for the very reason we are seeing here.

8. sanzu3 thread starter macrumors regular

sanzu3

exactly - nothing to lose is there !

9. sanzu3 thread starter macrumors regular

sanzu3

Thats seems highly unlikely to me. Using there current strategy (which may occasionally be abused I admit) they are seeing ever increasing levels of profitability and increasing market share.

10. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Call them, but I am sure that the policy is 1 laptop and 1 desktop per year. That said, they will sell you a Mac at Regent Street with ID for the HE price, so I guess you could get one if you want to take that on. When you register it, however, they might catch it. I wouldn't do it just because I appreciate the discount and want to play fair. Anyway, call them to be sure that I am right about the limit, but that's what they told me some months ago.

11. dkoralek macrumors 6502

dkoralek

It is fact (and if you actually read your agreement when you purchased your other notebook, you would have known this).

"Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase the following quantities of product per academic school year:

Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
    Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
    Apple TV: There is no limit on the quantity of Apple TV purchases per academic year
    iPod: There is no limit on the quantity of iPod purchases per academic year"

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespoliciesEdIndividual.html

Even if you were going to buy a desktop instead of a laptop, you are not abiding by the agreement if you bought a computer for someone that is not eligible for the same pricing.

If Apple really wanted marketshare regardless of the profit, they would be selling the machines all at this discount. Clearly, that is not part of the business plan. The education discounts are a targeted to specific markets because that is where they think they can make the biggest impact (i.e. they get people to buy into the Mac while they're in school and hope to keep them after they leave.

cheers.