Can I get these Bluetooth / GPS / Wifi controls?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by jbrown, Oct 18, 2011.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Hi

On my previous phone ( HTC Desire running Android ) I could get the following widgets that sat on my screen to offer me control.

1) Turn Bluetooth on and off

2) Turn Wifi on and off

3) Turn GPS on and off.

Can I get these ( or App equivelents ) for my iPhone 4s - rather than having to dig through settings to get to the controls?

Many thanks

:)

2. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

They don't have to be individual Apps - maybe an App that does all these functions.

Anyone know of any good ones. I'd like to say battery life when I don't need these functions.

3. Stoo macrumors newbie

If I recall correctly, Apple don't allow apps to turn on/off these features as it could mean a malicious app could do things without the user knowing.

You can however do this on a jailbreaked iPhone. There was a dashboard pull down (like the new notifications screen) that had buttons on for enabling/disabling GPS/BT/Wifi.

4. pettifogger06 macrumors member

What is the Apple justification for not allowing a widget to do this? Does Apple just expect me to leave them all on, and if so, is there a legitimate basis for thinking that this won't shred my battery?

Not being contentious. I switched from Android to Apple and am happy with it. However, this is one of a few things I simply don't get.

5. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

I just keep the settings app open in my multi tasking bar and switch to it when I need to change something. Kind of annoying at times, but that's what we have to do.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No widgets in IOS. Stop assuming that IOS works the way Android does (same sort of thing we say on the Android forums).

7. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Apple's walled garden does not allow this type of functionality. Jailbreak is your answer.

Yes, its annoying and slow - to turn on bluetooth and wifi i have to trawl through menus.. its slow and tedious. Apple should make shortcuts at least for WIFI. Having WIFI on when not required drains battery - especially since iOS insists on always connecting to known networks ( only way to stop this is to remove the network ).