Can I "gift" a mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skydiver32, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Skydiver32 macrumors member

I want to purchase another Mac (iMac) and use my student discount, I want to keep it at my parent's house, and as such I would like to have it in my mother's name. Ie. warranty, one-to-one, etc.
    So the question is, can I buy a Mac and gift it to someone else, or do I have to keep everything under my name?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Your mother is eligible:
    They don't specifically say that you cannot "gift it", but they do say:

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

AppleCare is tied to the machine's serial number, so at least with that you'll be fine.

4. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Yes, register the Mac under her name and all warranty information will be dealt through her name. You don't register a Mac until it's turned on, so just let your mother go through the registration process.

5. Skydiver32 thread starter macrumors member

how about the one to one?
    Does she qualify to purchase a laptop on my behalf, even though I already purchased one this year?

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

No. Not if you already purchased one.

7. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

the education discount says you can buy one of everything per year.

8. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Apple doesn't really check on everyday EDU users. Usually they apply limits on customers obtaining Macs through school work orders and what not...

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Really? Can you find where it says this in the TOS? I want to make sure I have proof that I didn't break any rules :rolleyes:

10. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I'm interested to know whether that is still the case, because Apple seem to have removed all references to it from the Higher Education store in the UK. It used to be pretty prominently displayed on the landing page and in the terms and conditions. :confused:

11. suekitch macrumors regular

The staff in the Apple store where I bought my MBP (UK) told me that you can only buy one desktop and one laptop per year with the student discount.

However, they don't have my NUS number as such. My university student card just has my student number (at the uni) and my library number on it, no proper NUS number. I'm not convinced that if I wanted to buy another computer using my discount they would know any better, not that I want or need to :) (Bought an iMac and an MBP so far this year heh) :p

12. Billydelp4 macrumors regular

in the states whenever I have bought a mac with my student discount they have taken down my drivers license number. which I assumed kept track of what type of purchases I made over the year