Can I give original iPhone to my mom?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DVDSP, Nov 5, 2011.

1. DVDSP macrumors regular

My mom is on AT&T and thinks she wants an iPhone. We have a couple original iPhones sitting around unused and I thought I may be able to let her have one of ours.

Is it as simple as swapping the SIM and connecting to iTunes or do I have to jump through other hoops to make it happen?

If I can get it to work will the iPhone work for her on her current contract? I'm guessing she'd have to use Wi-Fi around the house as I'm positive she has no data on her plan.

If I can't find the answer here could you point me in the right direction?

Any help is appreciated,

2. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

If she has a valid and active AT&T line, then yes it is simple as swapping the SIM card and hooking it up to iTunes.

However, she has to have a data plan. The voice plan will automatically work after putting in the SIM card, but AT&T requires that all iPhones have a data plan. AT&T can detect an iPhone on its network, and will automatically add a data plan to the account.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

As long as the iphone is already activated all she needs to do is put in her sim.
    For the original iphone 2G they will not enforce the mandatory iphone data so she can use it without data and on just wifi.
    Just make sure to install a fake apn so she doesnt use carrier data accidentally and get charged per kb.
    unlockit.co.nz
    Go there with the iphones safari browser and install the disable data "fakeAPN"

4. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

Is that the official policy from AT&T, or is it that some are luckier than others? Because I know a few original iPhone users who have had the data plan added.

I'm looking on their website for an explicit exclusion, and I can't find one.

5. DVDSP thread starter macrumors regular

Does this require a JB?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The original iphone is not classified the same way the iphone 3G and above iphone models and you can call AT&T and have the data removed from that model iphone.
    They never went after 2G owners and added data plans automaticly, not sure who told you that but its false.

No need to JB, just go to that site using safari on your iphone and you can install the carrier data block.

7. jburns macrumors regular

You're wrong. I tried to get AT&T to remove the data plan from my original iPhone and they would not. I tried in store and also called customer service. Both said the data plan was required for an iPhone, period. It may have changed since but originally you had to keep a data plan.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, the key word is originally.
    Now they will do it, the first year it came out it wasnt happening.
    The past year or so they wont have a prob removing it.