Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suburbiton

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
I've got my Apple TV - which, even though it has many flaws, I love, and I'm in the process of HandBraking all my DVDs.

However, I have a small number of region 1 (I'm in region 2) DVDs which I'd love to get into my iTunes - is it possible at all?

Thanks

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
You'd need to download the version available from the website when you're in a region 1 country.

When I was in Ireland, my HandBrake didn't work, so I redownloaded it and the application was a different size. I keep both of them now.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
You'd need to download the version available from the website when you're in a region 1 country.

When I was in Ireland, my HandBrake didn't work, so I redownloaded it and the application was a different size. I keep both of them now.

Er what? There are no different versions of Handbrake.

I just downloaded the "American" version and the British version and they are exactly the same.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Er what? There are no different versions of Handbrake.

I just downloaded the "American" version and the British version and they are exactly the same.

I'm telling you, I have two HandBrakes here; the Region 2 one is a larger application that the Region 1, and it won't rip Region 1 disks.

The Region 1 HandBrake won't rip Region 2 disks, either.

I don't get it, but that's how it is...:confused:

Oh, folly. This was pre 0.9.3... Would they be the same now since they removed native DVD ripping from HandBrake?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I'm telling you, I have two HandBrakes here; the Region 2 one is a larger application that the Region 1, and it won't rip Region 1 disks.

Are they the same version numbers, sounds like you might have downloaded an update but didn't realise. I just downloaded both versions and they are exactly the same.

Here is the region 2 version as just downloaded from the handbrake site:

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    144.6 KB · Views: 512

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
I've got my Apple TV - which, even though it has many flaws, I love, and I'm in the process of HandBraking all my DVDs.

However, I have a small number of region 1 (I'm in region 2) DVDs which I'd love to get into my iTunes - is it possible at all?

Thanks

I think you will need to change your drive region in your mac. You can do this 5 times before you are locked into one region.

Insert your region 1 disk, try to play it with DVD Player and it will ask you to change region. Rip all your region 1 DVD's with handbrake, then insert a region 2 to change back again. You can only do this process twice, so do it all at once.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005

Thanks

You have to change the region.

suburbiton

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Thank you everyone! I haven't had a region 1 DVD player for about 4yrs, so it'll be nice to watch Just Shoot Me again!

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
I don't think you need to change the drive region. I'm in Region 1 and I've used Mac the Ripper (used to be free, now I think they charge) to rip a Region 2 disk without changing the drive's region. I doubt that Handbrake will have any trouble with other regions' DVDs. Try it and see....

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003

Oh, folly. This was pre 0.9.3... Would they be the same now since they removed native DVD ripping from HandBrake?

I guarantee you there is no "region 1" or "region 2" handbrake. There never has been.

Handbrakes source code and binaries are identical all around the world.

fwiw, most of the binaries are compiled by dev's in the u.s. and uploaded to the server in france, then the same binaries go out to several mirrors in multiple countries. Same app everywhere. To suggest otherwise is frankly nonsense.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Your superdrive is RPC2 and isn't region free. For a small number of region 1 discs you could switch the region to 1, rip the discs, and then switch it back to 2 and you should be fine. Personally, I have an external USB DVD drive which is region locked but VLC is able to work around that and so the discs will rip in HandBrake regardless of the region. The built in drive isn't so friendly and garbles out of region discs. Using the external drive also has the advantage that it is a faster drive than my internal superdrive (MacBook Pro) so rips are quicker.

On a side note, I have an old iBook with a combo drive and that will rip any disc I put in it unlike my superdrives. I guess the old combo drives had some advantages after all.....

suburbiton

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Hmm - some more duff info from TallestSkill.

Thanks everyone. Indeed HandBrake worked fine with region 1 - no need to change anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.