Can I Hard Drive Sync?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ACV2, Sep 16, 2010.

1. ACV2 macrumors newbie

:apple:I work as a media director for a church and I use a hard drive @ home to program my presentations but I take a portable one with me. I have been manually updating the content on the drive but it's getting old. Any ideas on how to sync a specific folder between two drives?:apple:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can use CCC and set it to backup the specific folder every time you connect the HD

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If your files are not big, use DropBox. Whatever you put in that folder, assuming you have decent upload speeds and the church is not next door, will also be at the church's computer by the time you get there.

DropBox starts you off at 2 GB, but it's easy to get much bigger than that.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

if you're comfortable with terminal and the command line, look at the rsync command.

if you're always going one way (ie, working at home, and always copying to the external drive) you could setup a file that had the correct command in it, and make it executable. then all you have to do is double click it and it would sync.

any person with a bit of linux knowledge can get that up and running for you in less than 10 minutes.