Can I have 10 dropbox accounts?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by willran168, Sep 10, 2011.

1. willran168 macrumors newbie

I thought about a way which I can get free 20 GB storage on dropbox. It's like this:

I will register 10 dropbox accounts, fill each one with 2 GB of data, then share all the 2*10=20 GB data with my "master account".

Can anyone tell is it possible? (though I may not take the trouble to do it)

2. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well no that won't work.
    The master account will still only have 2gb, even if you had one shared folder amongst all the accounts.
    In fact, each account has 2gb, add a file to one in a shared folder with all the others, you in effect have 10 copies.

3. gobigorange macrumors member

That probably won't work quite the way you would like.
    1) It is against their terms of service (but I suspect you already knew that)
    2) If you shared a folder on all 10 accounts, it would use up that much space on each account. It is the intersection of the accounts, not the union (if that makes sense).

It is pretty easy to get more space on Dropbox. If you connect it with your social media accounts you can get more space, and if you share it with your friends/family/coworkers/random strangers the space can add up quickly. If you are a college student with a .edu email address, that will net you more for each referral too.

Wow. I sound like an advertisement for Dropbox. Hope this helped.

Edit: Looks like rowley just beat me to it.

4. kalex macrumors 65816

good point. didn't think of that

5. willran168 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the professional answer. I think 3GB seem to be good enough already.

6. gpat macrumors 6502a

If you have the time to create 10 dropbox accounts, use them for referrals on one account and use only that one once you're done. If you're using an .edu email address, every referral will give you twice the bonus space.

7. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I wish dropbox had a level between free and 50gbs.