Can I have a Time Machine backup and unrelated storage on the same USB external?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tuna, Aug 10, 2011.

1. tuna macrumors 6502

I recently purchased a 256GB MBA. I would like to set up a time machine backup with my 2TB external drive. However, I don't want to waste the entire drive backing up, plus I have 1TB or so of music and video that I would like to store on this same external.

Is there any way to have both a time machine and other storage on the same external? How, do I format the external as 2 partitions? Can I do that in Disk Utility?

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Partition and format the disk using Disk Utility. You can use the two partitions separately, including one for Time Machine.

Keep in mind the other stuff on the external disk won't be backed up.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Having separate partitions is not required, but is definitely a good idea since otherwise time machine will keep expanding until it fills the HDD and you won't be able to put any more user stuff there.

4. tuna thread starter macrumors 6502

How much space should I allocate the Time Machine partition, then? It would make sense that there would be diminishing returns as you gave it more space to keep older and older revisions of files...

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You have plenty of disk space relative to your SSD size. I'd go for 512 Gb, double your internal drive. That's more than enough for Time Machine, and you still have tons of leftover space for media and whatever. :cool: