can i have an iphone with no 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by midget480, Jun 25, 2010.

1. midget480 macrumors newbie

i have an iphone and i don't want to keep paying for 3g which i dont use. at my uni we have wifi everywhere. if i jailbreak it can i then just put in a simple sim that just gives me phone no 3g?

Thanks

2. al3000 macrumors 6502

You can switch 3g off in the settings, no problem.

3. midget480 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok but do i still need to buy a 3g plan? can i use the sim in my current phone if i unlock it?

4. jnguyen4 macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

My friend just called AT&T and said that he lost his phone and does not want to pay the data plan anymore, and after a few days, he used his 3g again. This is how you get rid of the mandatory data plan.

5. midget480 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i don't think i was clear enough

i bought an old iphone 3gs from a friend who is getting the iphone 4, i bought the handset only, no sim no nothing

my uni is the largest unbroken wifi hotspot in the western hemisphere so i don't need 3g.

i currently have a regular mobile with a sim from vodafone that just lets me make phone calls no internet, no nothing, nada

is there a way i can take the sim out of my phone and put it in the iphone?

its really annoying at the moment because the iphone wont work at all, not even as an ipod, without a sim, it wont even connect to itunes properly

Thanks, sorry for being unclear