Can I Have Multiple iPhones on my Apple ID account?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Kurrgo, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Kurrgo macrumors member

I'm buying an iphone 6 for my SO and I'm hoping I can just add her to my account to add access to music, games, etc... that I've bought.

Am I able to do this under my account or is there a better way?

2. NachoDuck macrumors newbie

3. Kurrgo thread starter macrumors member

That looks like it will work better. I'm guessing it won't count as a device on my account either.

4. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Use a separate account. if you share computers…log onto you computer using a guest account. It's less messy that way. I think Apple allows up to 10 devices.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4627

I have my parents iPhones synced to my Mac but I set up different iCloud user accounts. Most of the apps they use are free. Also, I gave them a gift card so that they wouldn't have to use their cc.

5. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

6. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

significant other

7. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

I bought two iPhone 5s, one for my wife and another for me, and put them both under the same Apple ID. This resulted in a lot of trouble as follows: when I signed-in at iCloud, and then used FaceBook, and Messages, my Apple ID was showing on both iPhones. If my wife would turn her iPhone off, or didn't have cell service at some remote location and I would text her a message, this message would come back to my iPhone, my laptop, iPad, and my hotmail address. Not only that, but all of my contacts would show on her iPhone along her contacts, and so the contacts on my iPhone. Any changes she would make to her contacts would affect my contacts, and vice versa :D Talking about a big mess!

Anyway, I had a chat with an Apple technician and was advised to logoff iCloud on both phones, to remove the checkmark on both my phone number and email address in her FaceTime settings, and also to change the settings on iMessage. The next step was to create an Apple ID for her. Now we just share apps and the rest under the "Family Sharing" option.

Anyway, I decided to stay off iCloud all together, and back-up the iPhones manually, mine on my laptop, and hers on her desktop. I back them, and if I need to sync contacts and the rest, I do that manually.

8. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Thank you : ) !!! I also wanted to know this !!!

9. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Sounds like it's gotten messy since the last time I had 2 iPhones in the house.

Used to be that the phones were independent of each other, just able to share the iTunes music and Apps, and able to choose what I wanted synced with each phone (addresses, calendar, apps, music, etc.) independently.

Something has gotten things messy I guess. Sounds like probably something that came into play around the iMessage erra.

10. jayf macrumors member

I have separate accounts for my wife and I but used my credit card on both. Because of the legality of credit cards and billing names and addresses, Apple has both accounts under my name. It's not a big deal, and hasn't caused any real issues, just something to be aware of. The account on her phone has my name on it, as does iCloud, and all correspondence from Apple regarding her account is addressed to me.

11. jim.hickman.777 macrumors regular

12. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Oh. I'm not good with acronyms. :eek:

13. Thunderjet063 macrumors newbie

NAI
    (Neither am I)