Can I have two versions of iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dustman, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I once accomplished this before on my old iMac G3 because I had two installations of OS X running on seperate partitions. I was able to run either version when ever I wanted. I want to do this again, but not have to have two OS X installs. Here's my reasoning.

I need iTunes 9 to sync my iPod because I have a touch, however I hate the bloat and would like to use iTunes 3 or 4 for just casual MP3 listening. I tried using Pacifist but iTunes 3 refuses to run. Was it my method or is it something to do with iTunes 3 not liking Leopard?

2. Queso macrumors G4

The iTunes version depends on the version of QuickTime you have installed. I think the minimum you're going to be able to install will be linked to the minimum QT for SL. iTunes 3 most certainly will be too old for Snow Leopard.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It seems possible, not with iTunes 3 however, you would have to likely have two separate folders. I use Everplay to deal with iTunes' "bloat."

4. Dustman thread starter macrumors 65816

Dustman

I'm confused by this. I'm on Leopard too, not Snow Leopard. I don't care for the new expose.
    The installer won't let me choose a different folder, it just allows me to change which hard drive it will install too. I'm going to try it now with iTunes 4 and see if that will work (with Pacifist to get around the "newer version of iTunes already installed")

And will EverPlay sync with a 2nd Gen iPod Touch?

Thanks guys.

5. Queso macrumors G4

iTunes as a program depends on the QuickTime framework (not the QuickTime Player which is just a program like iTunes that sits on top of the framework itself). Although there doesn't have to be an exact match there will be a limit as to how far back a version of iTunes you can install and have it run on the same QuickTime framework version that iTunes 9 requires.

6. Dustman thread starter macrumors 65816

Dustman

Ok, so I was able to install iTunes 4.7 :). Anyone know how I can get iTunes 9 now without it over-writing it?

On a side note, I find it funny that the installer has gone from just over 10 MB to 86 MB.