Can I hijack my USB port on AE (G)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by longwaydown, Nov 2, 2008.

1. longwaydown macrumors newbie

Hey,

I just bought the Bose companion 5 speakers system and I am looking to use the USB input to stream audio from my MBP. I am aware of the Rogue Ameoba program to hijack the 3.5mm output but I am not aware of anything that will allow me to use the USB on the AE for anything else other than printing. I want to stream to the Bose but keep the 3.5mm input on it free so that others may hook up when visiting. Can I hijack any other USB out on another apple product (i.e. AE extreme, time machine, appleTV) ?

Thanks Y'all

2. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

I doubt it's possible without a good deal of hacking.

Alternatively, would it be possible to just get a 3.5mm Y-splitter so friends can hook up in addition to the Bose speakers? What inputs can the speakers take?

3. longwaydown thread starter macrumors newbie

The Bose has a USB and 3.5mm input into what they call the acoustimass (powered sub. with brains). I am wary about sound quality through a splitter and would like to be able to use the USB input to the bose without wires. Also wondering if I could use the AE's USB out to run a scanner instead of just printing ?

4. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

I don't have an Express myself but most of what I heard indicates the USB can be used for printing only (the scanning feature on multifunction printers usually doesn't work).

As for a splitter, they're not that expensive, even from radioshack, so it might be worth a try.