Can I hook external storage to AEBS via ethernet cable?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Max Blast, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Max Blast macrumors newbie

Hi,

Does all external network storage have to be hooked to the AEBS via USB or can it go through the Ethernet port?
    I am looking for a Raid 1 capable home network storage solution for sharing media, storing home movies and if it'll work, do Time Machine backups. I've read a lot of people hooking up through USB but not much about the Ethernet port.

2. pprior macrumors 65816

If it's a NAS, sure you can hook it up, but that's totally different than the USB option. iSCSI will not work, if that's what you're after.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

if it connects via ethernet then you won't be connecting it to the AE, you'll be putting it on the network.
    The airport won't have anything to do with the drive (meaning you won't see the drive in airport utility), you would just connect from the computer, so make sure whatever enclosure you want supports time machine.

4. Max Blast thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you mean that I'd have to physically connect the drive to my macbook to back it up? I'm looking for a wireless backup solution.
    Is the only way to have it show up in airport utility and have time machine recognize a USB connection?
    Sorry, I'm a newb at this.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

if you plug in via ethernet, you will be able to access the drive over the wireless.
    The extreme will not recognize it as a hard drive. to it the drive is just another device connected over ethernet (like a computer or iphone)

you will have to connect to the drive from your computer, how you do that depends on the drive you get. Probably either via samba (windows sharing) or AFP (apple sharing). That connection will be done as if the drive and the computer are wired together, and how it's done will be up to the drive you purchase.

you will also then have to look at how to get time machine working on a network drive.