Can I hook up my MacBook to my stereo?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mjmar, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

This may sound like a dumb question, but can I hook up my MacBook to my stereo system through the headphone jack safely? I hook my iPod through it all of the time. I'm just worried that the MacBook might burn out the speakers. They're only 80 watts if that means anything... :confused: All help is appreciated.

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

You should have no problems at all that I can see other than the usual don't blow the speakers.

3. gonyr macrumors 6502

It should work fine. I do this all the time. I assume you're planning to connect the headphone jack on the computer to an input on the stereo. In that case, the computer essentially becomes an external cd player. The only way you'll hurt the speakers is if the stereo is doing it - the computer can't.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Okay maybe a tiny bit of fundamentals are in order: the sound card in the macbook and many other devices that use that particular plug for audio will output roughly the same amount of 'wattage'. This 'wattage' or power is really quite small and only powerful enough to drive small speakers like headphones.

Second, because of the above most speaker systems/stereo's amplify the signal from the audio input themselves to get more power (making it louder).

If your macbook could output far in excess of 80W (try at least 160W) to blow the speakers well without any help, lets just say that there isn't enough power coming in from your charger to make it possible.

5. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

That is true. And a great rationalization of of power limitations of a computer. That it is limited by the power going into a computer. Thus that would explain why most speakers for computer require a 120v outlet.

6. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks everyone. I just plugged my MacBook into my speakers, and it worked fine. :)

7. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Congrats, I'm glad everything worked out for you.

8. osiris24x macrumors member

osiris24x

Also keep in mind that you can use an Airport Express unit if you'd like to wirelessly accomplish the same thing. I believe the term is "AirTunes".
    :)

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

80W is the power output level of the speakers, not how much power is required to power them.