Can I hook up two keyboards to one iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by divebaum, Aug 20, 2008.

1. divebaum macrumors newbie

Hi,

Quick question. I have an iMac with wired keyboard and mouse in one room and I'd like to be able to control it from another room, using my HDTV as the duplicate monitor. The cable run would be less than 10ft thanks to an odd apartment configuration.

So, my question is, can I simply get a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and use it to run the iMac from the second room?

Thanks for your help,

divebaum

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Well I use an external keyboard and mouse with my MBP and both work at the same time so I see no reason why this wouldn't. The when moving both the mouse and the trackpad at the same time the cursor kind of fights itself and doesn't know which direction to go. But you'll never be using the two at the same time anyway.

3. divebaum thread starter macrumors newbie

That makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply.

I was thinking of picking up a mac mini for this purpose, but this seems like a much cheaper and cleaner alternative.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes it will work. As long as you aren't trying to use two mice at the same time (and my use I mean actually moving them), you can connect as many keyboards or mice at the same time as you wish.

TEG

5. divebaum thread starter macrumors newbie

Great. Thanks again for the confirmation.

Finally, once the appropriate cables are plugged, I assume I'll be see options for dual displays, clone, etc?

6. Trouble1 macrumors member

We have two mice

My wife is left handed and we have two mice hooked up the the USB ports on either side of the keyboard.
    Works great.