Can I hookup my MacBook to a Panasonic EDTV?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by illiniry, Mar 1, 2009.

1. illiniry macrumors member

illiniry

I'm a little confused on the whole DVI-HDMI thing. I understand that my MacBook has a mini-DVI port so I need a mini-DVI to DVI adapter. However, I'd like to know what cable I need to hook that up to my Panasonic EDTV, it's a plasma TV I bought about 3 years ago, but it's not HD. Are there non-HD HDMI cables that I can use to connect my MacBook or do I have to use a regular DVI to HDMI cable? Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Depending on the version of your macbook, you might be restricted to RCA. Because you are not saying displayport, I am guessing you don't have one of the recent macbooks. You can get a mini dvi to video adapter. The video adapter has RCA and svideo out. You will have to push the audio out through the headphone port with a mini to RCA y cable.

All the above is with the assumption that you have component (which is HD btw) and composite (RCA) inputs.

3. illiniry thread starter macrumors member

illiniry

Thanks for the feedback. I actually just bought my MacBook a couple of months ago so I think it has a mini-DVI port right? I'm not sure how to tell. Anyway, what is the difference exactly between a dvi to video adapter and a dvi to hdmi? I looked up my TV specs and it does have an HDMI port on it. Will it work then if I get a mini-DVI to DVI and then DVI to HDMI? Thanks again for your help.

4. jvalenti75 macrumors newbie

I have a question on how to hook up my Sony Wega HDTV to my macbook

Hi All,

sorry to step in on someone elses post but can anyone help explain how I would go about hooking up my Sony Wega HDTV to my macbook? I know I have a DVI input on my macbook but my HDMI slot on the TV is already hooked up to my cable. Can anyone help me and tell me what I need to purchase and how to hook it up properly?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

All DVI-to-HDMI cables are the same. Either they work or they don't.

6. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

If you have the silver based Macbook, you need a displayport to DVI adapter and then a DVI to HDMI cable. This will not carry the audio, and you will still need the audio Y cable from the headphone port.

If you have the new White Macbook it still uses the mini DVI to DVI adapter.