Can I import a Flash movie into Fireworks?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by chiefroastbeef, Aug 21, 2008.

1. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

I am currently using Dreamweavers, and I'm most of the design in fireworks. I made a little picture slide show, and I want to put it in my Fireworks layout to see how it looks. Is there anyway I can do that?

After searching Google, there are a million results on how to import Fireworks into Flash, but nothing on putting a Flash file into Fireworks.

Thank you for any suggestions!

chief

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

I have an old copy of FW 2004 MX on my work machine, never tried importing Flash before, but went right into it's own help area, searched for Flash and came up with all kinds of results, including:

About scripting with Flash SWF files
    and...

So there is a limited import technique in this version. Use MX's help as I did plus search for "Extending fireworks" to discover these features to determine if it does what you want. Hope this gets ya started.

-jim

3. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks a lot! I will look into this tomorrow, it is 2:00am in Hong Kong right now. I never thought about looking in the help sections of the program...

Thanks again. :)

4. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've been fiddling around, doing more searching on the topic, I still haven't gotten anywhere. Should it really be this hard? Fireworks integrates into Flash nicely, and there are a million topics about that, but not the other way around?

Should I just export all my fireworks files and design in Flash instead?

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

From the help index topic named "Flash SWF movies used as Fireworks panels":

So apparently Fireworks integrates Flash SWF's via it's command panels, you simply drop your Flash file into the proper folder. For the location of the folder, that's linked in the help, and for more information about how the panels are used, that's noted in the help in the last sentence above.

That's how it works!

-jim

6. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

The entire Adobe CS4 GUI will probably be extensible via Flash panel extensions.
    ie: you can create custom panels for all of the CS4 applications using Flash.
    This is not the same thing as support for Flash content.

7. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you so much for your help! People like you make this forum better than any customer support Apple can offer!

Unfortunately, doing so only creates another window that plays my flash, it does not import into my fireworks layout. I guess I will use flash for my layout design! Thanks again!

8. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

BTW, the significance of support for custom Flash panels should not be underestimated.
    I have a custom "snippets" panel in FlashCS3 that is absolutely indispensable.
    (Snippets Panel was authored by Lee Brimelow)
    It allows me to store frequently used strings of code for quick insertion into new projects.
    It's a huge time saver.