Can I import HDV/minidv with usb 2.0?(elaborates inside)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ceezy3000, Mar 21, 2010.

1. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

So i've been thinking of finally buying myself a camcorder and from my research i think i've decided on the Canon HV40 http://bit.ly/aHCYfR but from my researching compatibility and so on i read that HDV must be imported through firewire. This is the problem, the machine i plan on doing my editing on doesn't have firewire, so my question is can i import hdv into imovie (HD) using a usb 2.0 connection? I mean the camera comes with a usb cable so i think i can but i wonder if i've been misinformed that hdv can only be imported with firewire.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can't (can not) use USB instead of Firewire to transfer DV or HDV from your camera to you computer.

The USB interface on that camera is most likely used for transfer of data to and from the SD or other inserted flash media card.

You need a computer with a Firewire (400 or 800) port to digitize the HDV footage, there is no (NO, ZERO, 0) adapter to convert Firewire to USB.

3. ceezy3000 thread starter macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

I do admit i'm a little disappointed as i had my heart set on the HV40 but thanks for the response. back to researching camcorders

4. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

go with a Canon HF or HG series. They are similar in quality and you don't have to deal with those pesky tapes. I have an HF20 and I love it! But make sure to factor in the cost of an external hard drive. HD footage will eat your hard drive in an instant.