Can I instal iLife 2008 from another Mac's sys disks?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mpcmpc, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpcmpc macrumors newbie

I purchased an iMac in 2007 and a laptop in 2008.

I need to upgrade the iMacs iphoto for it to be compatible with Nullriver's Medialink software.

I'm annoyed that Mac is asking for another $80 for an official upgrade. Can I somehow pull the application from the laptop's system disks to run on the other machine?

Any advice would be appreciated before I make an attempt.

Both computers run the Dual Core Intel chipset.

iMAc: System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S2167)

Laptop: System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.5

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I do not recommend this at all, because the likelihood of failure isn't as low as you might think. That said... if you really want to try there's an application called Pacifist designed specifically for extracting installers from larger packages.

3. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Or you could legally purchase the software.

The version you have for your laptop is licensed only to run on your laptop.

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

You are annoyed that Apple (Mac is not a company) is asking for money for software? What you are asking violates the software license for iLife. The version that is included on the system discs is only licensed for the computer that it is included with. Furthermore, installing single licensed versions versions of software on multiple computers (like non family pack versions of iLife) is considered piracy.

Unfortunately this is not Apple's fault but rather the fault of Nullriver. Just purchase the update from Apple.

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Sorry this is in breach of your license agreement, and MacRumors does not condone piracy of software in any form.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.