Can I Install 10.5 On A Macbook And An Imac Using The Same Disk?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by moe darklight, Jun 18, 2008.

1. moe darklight macrumors newbie

So I'm buying a macbook today. Will I be able to install OS 10.5 on my imac using the DVD that comes with the macbook?

I found this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1826?viewlocale=en_US

But it seems a little weird, since, if you go to the OS X purchase page, they don't ask you if it's for an imac or a macbook... so is it the same DVD and will work fine? and if not, does this also mean that next time I upgrade my OS X I'll have to buy two versions again?

Thanks

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the system disks that they ship with the computers are generally set up to only install on that type of computer as opposed to the retail version which will install on any of the supported computers

and of course the EULA limits your license for the software to installing on one computer ..... unless you buy a family pack that is......so yes, that does mean you're supposed to buy a separate license for each of your computers when you upgrade

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A331 Safari/525.20)

Your MacBook restore disk cannot be used (either technically or legally) to upgrade another machine. A retail copy of leopard will work on any machine but you are legally required to have the correct number of licenses. For home users this can be covered by a family pack, but business use requires a copy of the OS be bought for each machine

4. moe darklight thread starter macrumors newbie

O i see. thanks for clearing that up.

hm... I think what I'll do then is buy just the macbook, and then wait until 10.6 comes out (which shouldn't be too far into the future); that way I can upgrade both computers.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Nope.