Can I install 2.0 firmware from a different computer?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rhg247, Jul 11, 2008.

1. rhg247 macrumors newbie

I'm traveling this week and only have my new mba, but my iphone is synced to my old mb. I guess I can wait, but exchange support would be super! Normally I know that it'd delete my entire library before syncing, but reading this:

Normally if you choose to update, the iPhone or iPod touch software is updated but your settings and media are not affected. If your device currently has a software version prior to 2.0 (1.x) and you are updating to software version 2.0 or later, all data on your device will be erased in order to perform install the new software. In this case, iTunes will offer to create a one-time media backup of your device depending on what content is on your device and what content is stored in the iTunes Library you are connected to. You should ensure that you have enough free space on your Mac or PC to accommodate a backup that matches the capacity of your iPhone or iPod touch (4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, or 32 GB) if you proceed with the this backup.

Makes me wonder if it'd work. Long story short...can I upgrade to firmware 2.0 from another computer than my synced/home computer and have it not delete my music/vids/pics off my iphone? Would this "one-time backup" restore my iphone to life even if it's not synced to this computer?

Thanks

2. shoelessone macrumors 6502

god, i wish I knew the answer to this question SOOO bad.

I've been waiting for a really long time for the firmware update, as in, months, however I'm in Thailand/Cambodia/Laos for the next 5 months (literally) travelling around, and I've decided taht my media is more important than my curriosity.

Anybody have an answer to this question?

Thanks!