Can I install 2008 OS X onto a 2010 macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by quacknuggets, May 1, 2010.

1. quacknuggets macrumors newbie

hey, my friend just got a macbook from 2010 but it's used and there is a lot of old software, media, etc. on it. The person she bought it from didn't give her the install discs or anything that came with it. What I am wondering is, if I were to use my 2008 OS X discs on her 2010 macbook could I restore the computer to factory settings? Or would I have to use a newer version of the OS X? Please help!

thanks in advance.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Install disks that came with a certain Mac are specified to that Mac model only, they don't work with other Macs.

Buy Snow Leopard for 29$ and use that

3. quacknuggets thread starter macrumors newbie

damn, is there any other way to restore the computer? It's kind of urgent and I don't have the time to go buy new install discs.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you have a RETAIL version of OS X? You could of course download it illegally from the internet if it really is that urgent

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

A Mac will usually not be able to install software that was released prior to the Mac itself. This comes about due to specific code needed for newer hardware.

6. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

no it won't work (as hellhamer said)

try to download it or just go to the nearest apple store...

7. quacknuggets thread starter macrumors newbie

alright, well that's a bummer. Thanks guys! I guess ill try to download snow leopard from a torrent or something..

8. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

You need a version of Snow Leopard that came out at the same time or after your friends MacBook was originally released.

The Retail version of Snow 10.6.0 is unlikely to work as I would guess you need 10.6.2 as a minimum.

If your friend's MB is so new, then it is worth going to an Apple Store and I believe they can order a set of replacement disks for a nominal fee.

In the mean time, the computer should be working. So I would use it as is for now.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MacBook has 9400M so it should work with retail SL, GPU drivers are the most common ones to cause problems but MacBook has nothing that 10.6.0 don't