Can I install a 30 second rewind button for OSX DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rrandyy, Jul 30, 2010.

1. rrandyy macrumors 6502

I'm watching DVD lectures on my computer and occasionally want to listen to a short segment over again.

Is there a way to install addons for the DVD player on OSX? For example, I'd like to have a dedicated button that rewinds the dvd back 30 seconds so I can watch the scene again.

2. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

You can bookmark and create clips within the DVD Player application - would that work for you?

3. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

No I think he just wants something that'll quickly jump back about 30 seconds during playback to re-watch a particular part.

Applescript probably could, however I'm basically programming illiterate so I've been unable to do it just now. I can get it to rewind dvd player, but then it doesn't stop. If I put a command to "play" it only rewinds for a split second and plays again. I can't seem to make it jump back for a set time and play again.

Maybe someone else could help with that.

4. rrandyy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the applescript suggestion. I quickly wrote up something that seems to work. The script also retains the state of the DVD playback. For example, if it is paused it stays paused, it is playing, it stays playing. If others are interested, here is the script:

set rewindSeconds to 30

tell application "DVD Player"
    set elapsed time to (elapsed time - rewindSeconds)
    end tell

5. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Well look at that, you solved your own issue haha

I just tried it out in Tiger and it works here too. As for execution, there may be a free program for that. I payed for a program called Keyboard Maestro for that.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can map keys to run scripts, open applications, and so forth using Quicksilver.