Can I install a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M or later into my macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JyJy, Nov 21, 2010.

1. JyJy macrumors newbie

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to install a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics card into my 13" 2.4GHz macbook. Is at all possible to play Left 4 Dead 2 on this system?

Thank you, in advance, everyone. :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The GPU is soldered onto the logic board, thus it's not upgradeable.

3. JyJy thread starter macrumors newbie

:(

Thanks HellHammer!

So basically, the people at Best Buy are lying about getting the upgrade card? Or lying about installation?

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

More likely they don't have a clue;they are just salespeople with little technical knowledge. They would probably sell you a desktop GPU that requires two slots if you asked.

5. JyJy thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Thanks guys! Is there ANY way to play this darn game on my computer? Other than purchasing a new system that is...

You folks are swell, btw!

6. flopticalcube, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010

flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Under windows on bootcamp in software vertex mode at lowest settings.

7. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

onboard graphics shouldnt inhibit you from using discrete graphics. however i am unfamiliar with your mobo so it may not be possible to install the card. afterall you cant install it if theres no place for it.

8. al2o3cr macrumors regular

Wow, that site really goes out of it's way to make me feel like I'm going to get QUALITY SOFTWARE when I click on the links. Something about the JS popup when I load the page, the Mediafire link to download software supposedly by Intel, or the marquee on the page heading...

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yeah, perhaps not the best source. Intels Windows driver should be able to do that automatically.

10. JyJy thread starter macrumors newbie

Left 4 Dead 2

So I should go to Intel Windows site, and download what? I'm sorry, I'm confused... :(

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You will need to run Windows natively. It won't work under OSX. You will need a legit copy of Windows XP (SP2), Vista or 7 and at least 30GB of disk space and use Bootcamp Assistant to install. Once Windows is installed, get the latest video driver from Intel.