Can I install an aftermarket SSD in a 2011 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by g-boac, Jul 28, 2011.

1. g-boac macrumors 6502

If I wanted to install an aftermarket SATA3 SSD in my 2011 iMac BTO which has the SSD+2TB HDD option in place of the Apple SSD. . .can I do this, or will this lead to the whole high-speed fan issue the HDDs are plagued with?

thanks,
    Mark

2. Dresevski macrumors 6502

You can do this and it is very easy to do so. There's another thread in here about a guy who did exactly this with an Intel 510 I believe. Just take of the glass and screen, unscrew and replace the SSD, plug the cords in and reverse the process. Simple and it will be SATA III!

3. g-boac thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the quick reply!! To be clear, I'm familiar with and comfortable with the actual physical procedure. My question lies with whether I can do so and not cause the fan issue / bad temp sensor readings that replacing the HDD would cause.

4. Dresevski macrumors 6502

What does your current temp for the SSD say? You should try to find that other thread but I don't remember reading about any issues. The fans are only controlled by the HDD, therefore the SSD doesn't affect them. Also, aftermarket SSD's show up at 263F which is why I want to know what your iStat Pro says currently with the stock SSD.

5. Dresevski macrumors 6502

6. g-boac thread starter macrumors 6502

got it - that thread has all the info I'm looking for. Thanks!!