Can I install Boot Camp using the Dell Drivers and Utilities DVD?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Amazee Dayzee, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Amazee Dayzee macrumors newbie

I ask because I thought I could, but it freezes up when it restarts only giving me a "Working…" screen. Am I doing something wrong?

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

No, they don't include the Windows installer. (that is on a recovery partition on the computer hard drive itself most of the time)

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

jessica is correct when you buy a dell the OS comes pre-installed and the disc they provide is to restore that computer to factory, its not a full verison of windows

4. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

the dell disk install is looking for dell hardware. They burn information in the firmware and your install disk is looking for that. I know with server line serial is burned in as I do not activate a fresh server install....it wakes up after install all done and activated not typjng in a key.

Best you can do, windows 7/server 2008 and below as I have not done windows 8/server 2012, is get a virtual to fire up off the install disk. Activation may not work however. I do this for quick and easy testing and do not want to burn a license from our bulk corp license numbers. Basic vm....test something...and ditch it after. Guess whatever hardware vm software presents to client good enough to run for a bit. I do this with dell hardware clients as well so maybe it greases the wheels.