Can I install dp4 without the previous dp's?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by nc11, Jul 22, 2013.

1. nc11 macrumors member

I've created a USB boot device with the original dp, based the instructions published on the forum. I had to then upgrade through the other 2 to get to dp3...

Now with the 4th, can I start with that, or do I now need to get through 4 upgrades??

Cheers,

NC

2. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

I'm not sure but I think you install DP1 and go to DP4.

3. eddyecb macrumors regular

Correct! All updates after DP1 have been pushed through the app store.

4. /macuser macrumors member

I believe if you have recovery partition installed and do Internet recovery and tell it to install on your blank partition it will download DP4 and install.

5. ATC macrumors 6502a

DP4 is the first DP (other than DP1 of course) that allows for a full standalone installation. What you need to do is to request another redemption key from the appleseed portal before you can download its installer from the MAS. Or so I heard.

6. Reasec macrumors newbie

Why can't apple just release full dmg instead of those silly updates?

7. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

Yeah it'd be great if they did!

8. benwiggy macrumors 68020

They do. In the email that Apple send you informing you of the new build, there is a link at the bottom to a redeem code for a full installer in the App Store.

9. ATC macrumors 6502a

DP4 def has a standalone installer with a slightly modified icon. MAS screenshot.

Attached Files:

10. slide023, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013

slide023 macrumors member

slide023

DP4 Installer

@Wiggy

When did you receive that email? I've never received one . Had to do all the upgrades

@ATC

When did the DP4 show up in your Purchase?

Just curious ....I did have a redeem code for DP3, but tried it and it said it had already been redeemed.

I've contacted Dev Support and very kindly explained my situation and politely asked for another redeem code, saying my account may have been compromised.

Question: If I have DP1 installed and used the pkg. version of the final update would that take me up to DP4.1 ?

Thanks,

Slide

11. ATC macrumors 6502a

In the email that went out to everyone when DP4 was released there is a small note about the standalone installer. In that note was a link to Appleseed portal which just takes you to the Appleseed Downloads tab and from there you just request a new redemption code, which when you select it starts the download for the DP4 standalone installer. Once that's done downloading it then shows up in your purchases tab in the MAS.

12. slide023 macrumors member

slide023

ATC,

Strange, I signed up for the Developers program. 99USD for one year. I knew nothing about the Apple Seed Program by Invitation only. Bummer.

I tried signing in with my Apple ID but apparently that email (I never received) gives you a username and p/w for the portal.

Thanks for the info. Of course now they don't need anymore members.

Regards,

Slide

13. 3282868 macrumors 603

They used to. Before 10.7, ADC OS X membership was ~$499+, and 10.x updates were full ISO beta's released 1-2 weeks for 1 ½ - 2 years. Developers were required to burn each beta onto a DVD and perform a clean install.

There has been contention in Apple over moving towards a $99/yr iOS format. Many believe the clean installs and longer test time allows for an easier system to debug and produce a more stable first release. I still have 10.5/6 beta's, they had some great features that [sadly] never made it to GM. Since 10.7, I haven't been as impressed with development.

Perhaps Apple wanted to keep development under control as a lot of non-developers would torrent OS X beta's. With the "OS X App Store", DP's are much more controlled, and the lower membership fee means more will be enticed to produce app's at a 30% take for Apple.

14. JoshFink macrumors regular

Good thread. Question around the installer though.

Is there or isn't there a standalone DP4? I too have the Mac Dev Portal , the $99 a year program. I log in and I don't see anywhere to download it.

What specifically is the Apple Seed Program?

Thanks

Josh

15. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Uh, no they are not. DPs are just as easy to get ahold of. As demonstrated by this lively forum.

16. 3282868 macrumors 603

Certainly, I never claimed they weren't available outside of the "App Store." Yet they are certainly more difficult to acquire than previous 10.X beta's (may also be due to the fact beta's before 10.7 were much more frequent).

----------

Oddly, I received "Apple Seed" invites for 10.8 and 10.9 even though I'm been a registered developer for many years.

Is it possible to allow someone else to use the invite? Hate to waste it.

17. Killa Aaron macrumors regular

Killa Aaron

if so, me me me.

18. 3282868 macrumors 603

Still have the email invite. I'll email Developer Support and ask.

Apple should have a system in check before sending out invites to already registered developers. :eek:

19. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I'm not sure I follow you, then. Is the MAS hard to use?

20. 3282868 macrumors 603

You're missing the point. Before the MAS, developers simply downloaded beta's weekly or biweekly, burned them to a DVD and had to perform a clean install with each update, over the course of 1 ½ - 2 years. That changed with 10.7 and the MAS. OS X development moved to an iOS system; $99/year from $499+, and OS X 10.x development switched to an annual release rate with ~4-5 DP releases.

Before 10.7, developers would torrent OS X beta's for non-developers on sites such as "Demonoid" (which is now down). Previous OS X development consisted of many more beta's, thus plenty were torrented and downloaded, making it much more difficult for Apple to regulate. DP's require updates through the MAS, which regulates what systems and user ID's are installing the OS whereas before anyone could burn a beta then GM onto a DVD for an OS X install (additionally OS X updates were ~$129, example 10.6).

Currently, one needs access to either the original DP (some have indicated the latest DP4 can be installed cleanly on a USB drive), then log into the MAS for DP updates. Once installed, the system will recognize the DP and will update, however some have experienced Apple cutting off access as one must be signed into their account via MAS or Xcode 5, verify development, then under "App Store" system preferences may install DP updates. In the end, Apple has tighter regulation of OS X DP usage through MAS and Xcode 5 tracking (numbers wise, doubtful they are tracing IP's), and control updates through the MAS instead of simply allowing developers to download each beta directly from their ADC account, and as the installer deletes itself after installation one must copy it somewhere else before rebooting the install in order to keep a copy. The InstallESD.dmg is no longer a simple process to restore to a USB drive for installation. 10.9 introduced a more "complex" method.

All in all, people will find a way in obtaining an OS X DP, however Apple has made it more difficult in comparison to 10.6 and earlier development. Lowering the developer price to the same as iOS ($99) has enticed more into purchasing an OS X membership account, [in theory] leading more to develop and sell app's at a 30% take for Apple. It's a win/win for Apple.

Is that enough of an explanation? ;)

21. Cougarcat, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013

Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yup. It's the first I've heard of updates not working for non-developers.

Although, I don't really see how it's any harder than before, torrents are of course still available and there's little Apple can do about that.

22. 3282868 macrumors 603

Yup, it's hit or miss. Even before the now infamous crash of 7/13, my developer account and some colleagues' accounts were touchy in Xcode 5.x. The errors Xcode spits out from trying to log developers into their accounts (not registered, etc) happened with quite a few before all hell broke loose.

Before 10.7, Apple didn't validate beta releases; just log in, download, burn to DVD, clean install. Made it easier to torrent/pirate each beta and then GM. The new MAS and retooling OS X development creates more hoops for non-developer use, even then people will find a way. :)

23. ATC macrumors 6502a

I know there is confusion out there where some are freely interchanging the terms Developer accounts with Appleseed accounts and vice versa. While I don't know all the differences between the two and I can only speak for myself here, some (maybe most or all?) Appleseed users are not developers.

I've never been a developer, nor am I currently one, and I've never paid for a developer account yet Apple sent me an invite to OSX 10.7 beta and after accepting, my apple ID became an Appleseed ID. Since then, every year I got to test the latest OSX, 10.8 last year and now 10.9.

To this day I have no idea why I got the invite or whether it was just random selection. All I know is that it came from someone at Apple. The only thing that I remember was that I was having a really weird issue with 10.6 at the time that none of the front end AppleCare reps could fix, it was escalated over several months up the engineering ladder at apple and got to interact with one of their software people for a few weeks before resolving it. A couple of months later I get the invite. Having said that, it could just as well all have been a coincidence. I'll never know.

24. slide023, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013

slide023 macrumors member

slide023

BD Added You As A Contact

BD,

I hope you don't mind, but I added you as a contact.

Slide023