Can I install games to an external SSD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Yougotcarved, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Yougotcarved macrumors regular

Hey all so I've ordered a 27" with Fusion Drive, despite really wanting an all SSD system I couldn't comfortably afford the 768Gb SSD so going with Fusion.

My question is, ideally I want a full SSD system so I'm probably going to keep data on my drive under 128Gb so I only use the Fusion, or maybe split them and use the HDD as a backup drive.

I'm hoping 128Gb will be enough for my OSX and apps (of which I'll need a few) but I can imagine if I started installing games this space would disappear quick. That being said, is it possible to install games or apps on an external SSD?

2. Bear macrumors G3

It depends on the games and the apps. Apple's own apps tend to require being in /Applications for everything to work properly (especially updates).

I know Starcraft II, World of Warcraft and Diablo III can have the game moved with no issues. They just have some preferences files and such that have fixed locations in /Users.

All in all it will be on a per application/game basis.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Nonsense, I have almost 100% of my Apple Applications in a different place and they work AND get updated.
    It was in the beginning of OS X where you couldn't move them and broke Links, not so anymore.

------

OP
    Most Apps will just install fine, there might be a few which installs Supporting files which could be a problem but I did not come upon any.

4. b0redom macrumors regular

Just FYI, it's not simple to split the drives. I tried to do that when mine arrived and DiskUtility just kept sticking them back together. I'm sure it's possible to do with some command line goodness, but I just wanted to get Bootcamp on my 3TB fusion drive.

If/when the TB enclosures come down a little in price I may buy one and install stuff which needs really fast access to it, but to be honest the Fusion drive is very quick indeed.

5. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Yes, you can install games on an external drive but instead of spending the money, why don't you try the Fusion drive first. It might surprise you.

I have over 400gb of data on my 1TB Fusion including games and quite honestly I have not experienced any major slowdowns.