Can I install iOS4 at work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HE15MAN, Jun 21, 2010.

1. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

If it is not the main computer I sync my phone to?

Thanks!

2. jessea macrumors member

I'm pretty sure that if you sync to it, it will wipe out everything stored on your phone.

3. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

4. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

5. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

6. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Ok, but when i re sync to my main computer it would re load them right?

7. bstpierre macrumors 6502

Absolutely!

Just turn all the sync stuff off and do the install. I have done that many times.

I received an email from a developer suggesting that Apple is behind on approving app updates so he was recommending waiting a bit or you may find yourself with a bunch of apps with issues so I am not going to do it at work this time. I have done it plenty of times before though.

8. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

Just de-select everything so that is doesn't synch those items. I've do it at work most often and I've never had a problem.

Just make sure on each tab (Info/Apps/Ringtones/etc.) that they are UNSELECTED to Sync. That way these items won't be synced and the actual sync will just update to iOS4.

9. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Are you sure on this?

Here is my situation:

Home Computer iTunes: Apps, Music

Work Laptop iTunes: Google Contacts, Picture Folders

So, I basically sync to two different iTunes instances all the time.

And you are saying it will not wipe out my music and apps if I sync on the Work Laptop when doing a firmware update?

10. SpankWare macrumors regular

Agreed. I've done this as well with no issues. Disable sync and you'll be fine.

11. bina12834 macrumors regular

is that the best way to activate my iPhone 4 when it gets delivered to my office on thursday? i just want to activate it on my office computer, and sync it with my home computer. im just downloading iTunes onto my computer right now, so it will be a "clean" (ie no music or anything to be sync'd to either my 3G or 4 when i get it) version of iTunes.

12. SpankWare macrumors regular

That would probably work but I have never tried it. It might be best to wait until you can get it home. If you have a laptop then take it to work with you. That's what I would do. If you can't get on the corporate network with a personal machine, just run by some place with free wifi at lunch and do it there. I have a friend who's taking his MBP to the store with him and he plans to activate and sync from Starbucks immediately after purchase.

13. bina12834 macrumors regular

the computer to which everything sync's to is my desktop....cant really carry that around with me :-/

14. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

yes you can do that just turn off the syncing stuff and you will be fine. i have done it every update for 2 co workers without any problems. they have never lost any info.

15. ycoidi2000 macrumors member

I was on vacation in Vegas last year when 3.0 came out. I brought a laptop with me that was not my normal computer and I installed iTunes on it in Vegas. I was able to install the update and lost nothing (I know this as I watched a movie on it on the way home).

16. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

for the new phone NO. if you do you won't have your stuff on your phone till you get home and fix your phone

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Is it really so important that you can't wait a few hours? Just wait until you get home. Why risk it?