Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shuweiyu16

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2007
I am wondering if I would be able to install MAC OSX leopard on my MBP...and if so...would I be able to install future versions of MAC OSX on my MBP.
My MBP specifications right now are 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo, 120GB, 1GB Memory.
Any response is highly appreciated.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Absolutely. Leopard supports systems all they way back to G4s with half the RAM and a quarter of the processor. Apple is very good about making its operating systems run on older hardware. Usually you can get Apple's latest OS to run on computers releases 5-7 years before the OS was.

JDN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Lund Sweden {London England}
(I also have a MBP CD)
From what i have seen on the forums (people running tiger on older machines etc) i expect to be able to run Leopard and the version after that without any problems. I may be disappointed, but i doubt it.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Yes, this isnt Vista :roll:.

Just so you know, if you always type MAC OSX, people will think your Media Access Control runs OS X :p . Its "Mac OS X", or if you want "Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard". It's also GHz not GHZ. Nitpicking, I know ;) .

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
I am wondering if I would be able to install MAC OSX leopard on my MBP...and if so...would I be able to install future versions of MAC OSX on my MBP.
My MBP specifications right now are 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo, 120GB, 1GB Memory.
Any response is highly appreciated.

I'm planning on installing Leopard on a 1.42 Mac mini. If it can take it then the far newer (and powerful) MBP will have no problems.

At some point in the future your MBP will not be up to the task of running the latest release. I don't seriously expect my mini to be supported past OSX 10.7 in (say) 2011 (by which time it will be 5 years old - and with a G4 processor it was based on quite old tech to start with), but I do expect both my Mac Pro and Macbook (and your MBP) to be up to the task of running the Apple OS well into the next decade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.