Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacejockey85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2014
I will be installing both of these components and buying them together. My question is can they be installed at the same time?

I plan to completely re-install the OS, just copying over music and documents from my old HDD to the new SSD.

spacejockey85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2014
Great thanks. I wasn't sure if there would be some sort of conflict between installing two new pieces of hardware.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I did exactly that on my Mini, I see no reason not to be able to do so with a MBP. One word of caution, when you replace multiple components at the same time, if there's a problem you end up with more troubleshooting as you now need to eliminate TWO or more components.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Hi it's a mid 2010 macbook pro model

Very nice! That is what my wife uses and you will only get it from her if you pry it out of her dead cold hands. She loves the damn thing. It is due for a new battery.
I know there are some issues with which models of drives use trim, and the ram can be finicky, however, my wife has been the happiest with the Seagate Hybrid drive. She really likes the performance and doesn't have any issues. I put several 256 and 512 gig SSD drives in the thing and she didn't like them.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Great thanks. I wasn't sure if there would be some sort of conflict between installing two new pieces of hardware.

Well, there's prudent and then there's possible.

Personally, I'd upgrade one item, verify it works and then move on to the second - just for the sake isolating any possible issues

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009

Personally, I'd upgrade one item, verify it works and then move on to the second - just for the sake isolating any possible issues

This is what I do. You can swap the memory, snap the bottom on without any screws and turn it on to make sure everything is ok. Then do the drive.

spacejockey85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2014
Do I need to copy over the HDD to the new SSD. I wanted a completely new SSD, just the OS; I've lost the boot up discs though. Is this going to be a problem?

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA

This is excellent advice. It's how I've done upgrading for years. If you have a problem you're assured you know exactly what component is causing it because you've only changed one. It's a time saver.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Do I need to copy over the HDD to the new SSD. I wanted a completely new SSD, just the OS; I've lost the boot up discs though. Is this going to be a problem?

Do you have an 8 GB flash drive? If so, you can re-download the installer for Mavericks or Yosemite (whichever you choose) then use the Creatinstallmedia capability to create the bootable flash drive to install the OS.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

CAUTION! This WILL erase the flash drive!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.