Can I install my 980ti in the older version mac pro for gaming?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by InfernoUk, Apr 23, 2016.

1. InfernoUk macrumors 6502

Hey guys

I want to switch from windows to mac, but i always have the issue that i enjoy gaming and like to have the best quality.

I was wondering, as I already have a 980ti, would it be possible to move that into the mac pro, then install windows as well for gaming purposes? or are there issues beyond this?

As a general additional question, how is the older mac pro holding up technology wise? I have all the latest parts in my windows PC and I was wondering if the old mac pro may be a substantial downgrade despite their larger processors and ssd memory etc

2. orph macrumors 6502a

larger processors? what do you have now cpu wise.
    id gess a macpro is slower for games (as it's older) but you did not mention what you have now so kind of hard to know :rolleyes: mac pro's just use pc parts so google the cpu and look at benchmarks same as looking at pc parts.
    for gpu info look here http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...out-nvidia-pc-non-efi-graphics-cards.1440150/
    or google it

you can also just keep the pc for games;) lots of ppl do that (and it can be good to keep games & work apart)

3. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

I currently have a 5820K processor, 32gb ram and a 980ti in my windows desktop, but i like OSX so wanted to use that for everything, its pretty much just gaming i can foresee an issue with.

Id keep the windows pc and use a mac for work but wanted to consolidate it all, I cant have an imac because i dont want the screen, and a mac mini isnt powerful enough so mac pro is all thats left

4. orph macrumors 6502a

well chose the mac pro you want and compare the cpu on benchmark sites
    if you want to upgrade the cpu this list has the info you need on compatible cpu's
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-cpu-compatibility-list.1954766/

what work/software do you run?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2016 ---
    but as i kind of mentioned with games your comparing a computer from 2009/2010 with a computer from 2015/2016 so you can kind of gess what will happen.

5. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

Im a music producer so i use CPU and ram intense processing, and yeah i just assumed as mac pros have a load of ram and multi core CPU's it would only be the GPU letting me down?

6. orph, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016

orph macrumors 6502a

relay got to ask what music software actually uses a gpu for anything intensive ?

it will work but id be surprised if it's anything but slower, just look at benchmarks on your software with the same cpu as the mac pro you want to buy and see what the speed is etc

im shore it will work, there's still a lot of ppl using G5's with audio.

7. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

that was because of my intention to replace my windows PC with one, of which i only use for gaming, so the GPU was relating to games to see if i could do 100% of my computing on it

8. austinpike macrumors 6502

If you are actually in the UK as your name implies you should talk to this guy...
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/where-to-sell-old-mac-pro.1968997/

One issue is the mac pro only provides 2x6 pins for video card power, your 980ti probably has a 6pin + 8pin? So you need to get creative in powering it, or use a 6->8 pin adapter and risk drawing too much power. It shouldn't damage the machine (it should shut itself down first) but that is a much debated topic around here. And you really need to beware of updates and keep on top of drivers to keep a newer nVidia card running in a cMP.

A 12-core cMP might get you a slight performance boost over your 6 core, if you are actually pegging all the CPU threads. But it will be slower for single-core functions. As far as drive speed, there is plenty of performance to be had in terms of PCIe SSDs depending how far you need to push it.

9. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm perhaps its just going to be better to get the bottom spec new mac pro and keep the windows PC for games only.

Im hoping they put something decent in the mini if it refreshes this year

10. DPUser macrumors 6502a

For audio, look into getting a 4,1 (2009) Mac Pro, flashing EFI to 5,1 and upgrading CPU to hex W3680 or 90. With an SSD or two, your performance will exceed the 4 ore 6,1 (2013). If you really want to boost audio processing horsepower, get a dual CPU 4,1 or 5,1 (note the CPU de-lidding option for the 4,1 dual CPU models) and add two X5680s or 90s for a machine that is bested only by the top-end 12-core 6,1.

I'm running a 4,1>5,1 hex W3690 full of SSDs with great success in my audio work. Its probably all you need unless you do heavy VI orchestration stuff with a huge template. In such situations, Vienna Ensemble Pro is a great way to set up a VI farm.