Can i install my old hdd in my pc?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Applefanboy8153, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

Hi, I just installed a new SSD in my MacBook pro 13 (exchanged my retina) I was thinking I could install the old hdd in my alienware? Please help.
    Thanks in advance

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you mean an Alienware desktop or notebook computer. Either way is possible, for the desktop computer you might need some kind of HDD desktop adapter (for mounting), but since a desktop is hardly moving, one can live without such thing. As S-ATA is universal, there is no need for an adapter.

3. Applefanboy8153 thread starter macrumors regular

I am sorry fir not mentioning this before. An alienware desktop. I also have a m14x. I want to run OSX is it possible?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, with the right adaptor your old drive would work.

For that Alienware machine to run OS X it will need to meet very specific hardware requirements. What you are talking about doing is running a "Hackintosh". This site has some resources that may help you.

5. Applefanboy8153 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I just hope I'll get icloud as I want my aurora to stay synced with my Macs and my iPad

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can setup iCloud under Windows with this. Might be a lot easier. :)

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Leaps and bounds easier than trying to hackintosh an Alienware...

8. Applefanboy8153 thread starter macrumors regular

But you have to manually update documents and I type and edit hundreds every day. Also regarding hardware compatibility my m14x has the same processor as my cmbp 13 (2.9 i7) 8 GB RAM and a 750GB 7200RPM HDD.

----------

Manually downloading thousands of docs may be hard, hackintoshing my alienware once should be easier.

9. simsaladimbamba

Any HDD and SSD is compatible with Macs, thus a 750 GB HDD is no indicator of better compatibility. And while the CPU might be compatible, many other components those cheap notebooks use might not. If you are ready for that, good luck.

10. Applefanboy8153 thread starter macrumors regular

Alienware is by no means a cheap notebook they use top quality components. Also alienware is my 2nd priority laptop which I hardly use. It is primarily a gaming laptop. I just want a back up and rather than getting a new mac this seemed a better option so if I just pop in the Apple supplied hdd I will get a MAC right?

11. simsaladimbamba

Sorry, was confused with another thread, were someone wanted to hackintosh a 299 USD laptop.
    Yes, Alienware laptops are not cheap, and no, simply putting a storage device with a proper Mac OS X installation in it will not simply work. You do need to do more than that to get a Mac on unsupported hardware. And MAC is not short for Macintosh, Mac is.

Have you tried the following Hackintosh specific fora and websites yet?

12. Applefanboy8153 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks...OSX86 seems to be easier than hackintosh.com. Well ill get back to you after I install OSX on my Alienware.

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

Plopping your hard drive in an external enclosure and using copy and paste is not hard.

Hackintoshing is.

I don't think you quite understand what is needed for this to work properly.

And you never mentioned moving documents until now, you asked specifically about iCloud support, which can be easily installed as a standalone daemon in Windows.

14. simsaladimbamba

There is also the DropBox option, the free version can be easily "upgraded" to 5 GB if you have a smartphone running iOS or Android. Thus the documents are automatically synched.

15. Applefanboy8153 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah Dropbox and I just dont get along. Had a bad time with cs once I lost over 40 $ then.
    Anyways I hackintoshed my alienware gonna post a pic once I get back home from my school as I dont have a proper cam.

16. simsaladimbamba

Taking screenshots in Mac OS X
    To find out what Mac OS X version you run, click :apple: > About This Mac:
    [​IMG]
    To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:
    [​IMG]
    To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
    To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​

17. Applefanboy8153 thread starter macrumors regular

I run 10.6.8

18. simsaladimbamba

Sorry, it was meant for you to show how to open the About This Mac window and the System profiler for the screenshots, as an external camera is not needed to photograph your screen.

19. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

OP you don't understand how finicky Hackintosh's are. You need very specific parts like that guy above said or you will have constant kernel problems as well as a million other things. Each part needs to be combatible.

Hackintoshing a Alienware will NOT be easier, it might be impossible to be honest.