can I install os x from firewire external DVD for G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jtfab75, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Jtfab75 macrumors newbie

Hi, I bought a G4 ( lamp shade ) which is refusing to work properly. The DVD doesn't seem to be working 100%.
    Could I install the os x using a FireWire external DVD drive ?

Thanks

2. Jtfab75 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Jtfab75 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, all G4 machines can boot from a USB drive.

5. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Yes, you can boot from the USB drive no problem. Its built into the machines. Same with Firewire, just boot from Firewire and you are good to go.

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Oh small question related to this, when using target disk mode, does it also include the optical disk drive? If so then I/you can use another Mac as an external disk drive.

7. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

In my experience, no. In TD mode, I've only ever been able to see the "master" drive of the main IDE bus.

All that aside, generally when I'm dealing with a computer without a DVD drive and want to install Tiger or Leopard, I boot the computer on which I'm trying to do the installation in target disk mode then run the installer on either my Quicksilver or G5...this is as fast as trying to use an external drive if not faster, plus allows one to bypass the processor speed requirement for Leopard. The downside is that it ties up both computers for a little while.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

On PowerPC Macs, only the master primary IDE bus drive is accessible when using Target Disk Mode. You can change the drive that Target Disk Mode points to with OpenFirmware commands. It wasn't until Intell Macs that all drives became accessible when in Target Disk Mode.