Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
I will replace my PB G4 hard drive with 7k60 travelstar rpm tonight. I already have the necessary info on how to install the hard drive. (Thanks to our macrumors members!) However, I do need a step by step guidelines on what to do next with the software installation.

My PB runs on both Os 9 and Os x. Do I need to install both OS in the new hard drive? Or can I just install Os X? I remember the guy from apple store upgrading my Os 9 before installing Mac OS x v 10.2.3. Can I install Mac os x v10.2.3 in the new 7k60 rpm hard drive without any hassle at all?

Thanks

jm2005

AstroManLuca

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2005
Minnesota
OS 9 and OS X are totally separate, so technically you can install them in either order. However, I'd recommend installing OS X first since it'll be your primary OS and because that way you can use OS X's more advanced and newer disk tools to format the hard drive.

I assume you have a way of getting all your data onto the new hard drive...?

jm2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Any advice on data transfer?

AstroManLuca said:
OS 9 and OS X are totally separate, so technically you can install them in either order. However, I'd recommend installing OS X first since it'll be your primary OS and because that way you can use OS X's more advanced and newer disk tools to format the hard drive.

I assume you have a way of getting all your data onto the new hard drive...?

Hey, thanks for the info. I'm really new to this so my only way of transfering my data to the new drive would be to burn them in cd. Please, I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice on how to do this in a much better way.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
You should have a Mac OS 9 install CD that came with your computer as well as a Mac OS X install CD (if you have a retail CD for a later version of Mac OS X, use that instead). The first thing you'll need to do is install Mac OS 9 (if you want to install it). You're going to need to format the new hard drive; there's a utility in the Mac OS 9 utilities folder that can do this for you (I don't remember its name, and I can't check for you since I'm not at my Mac right now). There's no compelling reason to make two partitions - one for Mac OS 9 and one for Mac OS X; you're best off with one partition. Once that's done, install Mac OS 9 like you normally would, then update it to Mac OS 9.2.2. The necessary updaters can be found on Apple's site. After that, install Mac OS X and get it set up and up-to-date. You'll probably want to configure Classic to use that Mac OS 9 installation you did earlier - this can be done from System Preferences, in the Classic pane.

If you opt to install only Mac OS X, the installer can format the hard drive for you, or if that doesn't work, use the "Open Disk Utility" option in the Installer menu when it asks you what language to use and format it from there; return to the installation when done. If you think you might install Mac OS 9 sometime in the future, make SURE you check the "install Mac OS 9 drivers" option in Disk Utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.