Can I install Pages.app fonts on a pc?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by justflie, Jul 5, 2007.

1. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

I do a lot of flyers and newsletters for my office in Pages. My boss does not have a Mac but would like to have the option of editing the documents on her computer. Our solution was to install Acrobat Pro on her computer so that she could edit PDFs of my work. However, we're running into the problem that her Pc doesn't have some of my fonts installed. Is there something I can do so that her computer (running XP Pro) can read all pf the Pages.app fonts?

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

If you know where the fonts are located (assuming they're not in /Library/Fonts like most of the others), you should be able to simply copy the .TTF files onto a CD or thumb drive or something and install/use them on Windows without a problem.

If they're .OTF or another format you might have some trouble, but I think most Apple fonts are TTF these days.

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

If they're OTF then you're good — one of the big pluses with OTF fonts is that they're totally cross platform. But if they're dfont files those are OS X only. Apple uses a fair number of dfonts. I'm not aware of what fonts come with iWork exactly, I guess cause my Mac came with the trial (and thus the fonts) already installed.

Edit: It appears iWork comes with all FFIL font files, which are True Type but are Font Suitcases and I don't think work on Windows at all.

4. justflie thread starter macrumors 6502a

justflie

well that would be great. where would i drop them on the PC side of things? I've been away from windows for a few years now and don't remember the innards all that well.

Thanks for the quick responses guys! It was either use Acrobat Pro on the PC or I was going to be forced to use Microsoft Publisher. ewwwwww :apple:

5. defeated macrumors regular

X:/Windows/Fonts/

Windows and OSX have different font AA settings, so even if you use same font, it will looks very different.

6. justflie thread starter macrumors 6502a

justflie

Well, it only kind of worked. I used a program called CrossFont to change the mac dfont files to truetype. I installed all the fonts to windows/fonts and that worked fine. Microsoft Word sees/can use the fonts just fine also. However, Acrobat 8 is being stupid and still won't let me edit the fonts that are embedded in my pdfs. Any ideas on how to force Acrobat to recognize those fonts?