Can I install SL on a brand new hard drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by calviin, Aug 25, 2009.

1. calviin macrumors regular

I want to use my old hard drive as a bootable drive just in case SL gets messed up.

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

We don't know if the upgrade discs will allow you to install on a machine without Leopard already on there. Either wait for confirmation, or just try it and see if it works. If not, put down a copy of Leopard first.

3. Tundraboy macrumors member

You sure can!!!!!! I placed a freshly formatted hard drive in my UBMBP then placed Snow Leopard 10A432 in the DVD drive and it installed without a hitch!!!!!!!!

4. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

1. it didnt look for an install of leopard?

2. how long was the install?

3. what hard drive did you get?

4. WHERE did you get the DVD?

5. Tundraboy macrumors member

No it never looked for Leopard and it took the usual time around 20 minutes, I did another custom install and unchecked all languages and the other stuff as well.
    The hard drive I used was a spare I had laying around and I checked it to make sure nothing was installed on it before proceeding. No problem!!!!

6. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

sorry i added it in later, but where did you get access to a DVD?

7. iranintoavan macrumors regular

iranintoavan

I can also verify this to be true. I put a completely blank formatted drive into my MBP and booted up the CD by holding down the "C" key on boot. Once in there I was able to install with out it asking for leopard to be installed, or for you to insert the disk.

I believe the requirement for leopard is only a "legal" requirement and not an actual physical requirement. Kind of like how your not legally allowed to install Snow Leopard on more than 1 computer unless you get the family pack. I believe it works the same way, if you don't have leopard, legally you have to buy the tiger upgrade pack.

8. Yaris macrumors regular

That's a dev copy, and I'm not sure the retail upgrade disk will let you do that.

9. iranintoavan macrumors regular

iranintoavan

It's the same exact disk image. Either way, my friend works for applecare and he told me it works the way I described.

10. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

So Apple is putting Leopard as a minimum requirement for installation and then putting out a DVD that can disregard that requirement completely?

11. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

that's a dev beta lol not upgrade version

I think they should protect it other wise people would only buy the update.

12. iranintoavan macrumors regular

iranintoavan

Well technically they already do. When you buy an OS from them you are required to only install it on one machine. However nothing stops you from disregarding that requirement.

13. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Yes, you can! The question remains, will you have to do anything first.