Can I install Snow Leopard on an Older MacPro

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HTF, Dec 3, 2009.

1. HTF macrumors newbie

I just bout a new Mac Pro Quad Core Intel Xeon and would like to use the install disk that came with it to upgrade my old Mac Pro. Will this disk work or do I need to buy a new Snow Leopard install disk?

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You'll need a retail install disc. The restore disc is specific to that model.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....please search the forums - this question is asked several times each week.

Having a disc does *not* entitle you to install it wherever you wish. In addition to the technical aspect of it being a machine specific disc there is also the *license agreement* that needs to be respected....oh yeah!

4. HTF thread starter macrumors newbie

5. a350 macrumors regular

What was installed on your new Mac Pro?
    The one I bought a few weeks back had Leopard installed on it and had a Snow Leopard disk in the box.

If this is the case then you can use the same Snow Leopard disk on your old machine and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

If your new Mac Pro came with Snow Leopard installed on it then the restore disk will not work with your old machine.

on a side note, I would run to another forum for questions, this place is full of a holes. I mean run and don't look back.

6. HTF thread starter macrumors newbie

Snow leopard was pre installed on all four I bought.

7. HTF thread starter macrumors newbie

Whats the best way to update.

I have three other older Mac Pros running Leopard that I am going to re purpose,should I just buy the Snow Leopard Upgrade disk or should I buy the full version and do a clean install?

8. a350 macrumors regular

the $29 disk will do you fine for Snow Leopard but will not have iLife 09.

9. knewsom macrumors 6502a

they're the same.

The $29 version will allow a clean install. Though, for multiple Macs, you probably should buy a family pack.

10. HTF thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help all. Installing the family pack right now.