Resolved Can I install the iOS on a 5s without a SIM card.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Imac Sam, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Imac Sam, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

Imac Sam macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

A friend's Iphone 5s is defective and Verizon has sent an overnight replacement. Tomorrow I will go over to her home to assist her to restore the phone from her itunes backup. I am not sure what version of iOS7 it may have currently on it, and she only has spotty LTE service at her home as her main connection to the internet (she uses a Verizon Myfi). So i was hoping/wanting to make sure to update her to 7.0.4 at my house which has excellent Cable/wi-fi service, before I attempt the restore from backup process. I know the phone can do the OTA update, but I have found numerous times that the full 1GB+ update seems to work better for a "new restore". So I want to do the 1Gb+ update on my fast unlimited connection, so that the phone is "fresh" as possible.

So my question is, Can i update the firmware to 7.0.4 on my MAC computer using itunes, with her sim card removed, and then restore the backup files from her PC computer to the phone later in the evening?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    You won't get passed the activation screen without a sim.

3. Imac Sam thread starter macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

Ok so if the sim card is in the new phone then will I be able to do the iOS upgrade on one machine (my MAC) and the restore on another(her PC)?

I did not want to activate the new phone until I was done with the restore just in case. Her old phone still works but it has issues. So I wanted a "completed" phone before we shut down the old one and we returned to Verizon.

4. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

yes, you can restore/upgrade the phone on your mac then DFU the phone to connect back to her PC.

You might actually try to download the IPSW file for a 7.0.4 CDMA phone while you have a good network. you can find those links in various places

5. Imac Sam thread starter macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

6. Imac Sam thread starter macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

Got the phone updated to 7.0.4 on my mac and restored all of her stuff from her Windows Vista PC.