Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2005
I just bought an imac with Tiger on it of course. I also have a Powerbook which is about a year old. Is it okay to install the Tiger disk that came with theImac on my powerbook? THanks in advance..

macdon401

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
This may be a real lame question but could he install a retail version of Tiger he had purchased in both machines and if so what are the differences in these versions... the retail and the one that came with his G5??
R

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
He doesn't have a retail version of Tiger AFAIK but they'll work in any Tiger-compatible Mac. However, as of a few years ago (if that), Apple started putting in computer-specific versions of the OS with their corresponding Macs. This means that the iMac Restore DVD (or CD, I forget) has been specifically designed for the iMac hardware and is therefore only optimum when used on an iMac.

Technically, if he had a retail version of Tiger he could install it in both machines but this would still be illegal unless he had paid for the correct amount of licences (one extra in this case).

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I think you would be legal if you had the retail Tiger to install it on both.
Because then you have 2 licenses:
1 that came with the iMac
1 that you bought (retail Tiger)

I think legally you could use the retail Tiger to install on both machines (sinces you have 2 licenses) but why you want to do that is another matter.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm not sure how this retail box of Tiger thing popped up. :confused:

Just so long as there are as many licences (and you get one for the latest operating system at the time with the new computer) there's no real problem other than the fact the Restore DVD will not provide an optimised version of the OS on anything but the type of computer it came with. :)

macdon401

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
mad jew said:
I'm not sure how this retail box of Tiger thing popped up. :confused:

Just so long as there are as many licences (and you get one for the latest operating system at the time with the new computer) there's no real problem other than the fact the Restore DVD will not provide an optimised version of the OS on anything but the type of computer it came with. :)

Sorry mad jew, it was me... if Im not naming my threads properly I'm stirring the S__T with lame questions...LOL! Sorry!
R

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
BlizzardBomb said:
No you can't. A friend tried to install Tiger on his iBook using an iMac G5 Tiger Disk and his iBook rejected it.

I have seen this work using a Powerbook G4 Tiger disk to upgrade a Powermac G4 desktop. It worked just fine. Still illegal though.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Doesn't Apple "Ping" the computer to see what OS you have installed to check for an illegal install.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
MacNut said:
Doesn't Apple "Ping" the computer to see what OS you have installed to check for an illegal install.

Not to my knowledge. The install disk just checks to see that the computer meets system requirements and has enough disk space available.

It works on the honor system. Apple is depending on a person's moral values.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.