Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I need Win 10 on, but have limited SSD on my MBP. I have used Win 10 on my iMac using boot camp before, but that’s deleted so have my license.

Is there a way to have Win 10 on an external HDD and boot on MBP for when I need it?

I know maybe messy but don’t need all the time, and only at home.

Ideally boot camp, unless another way. I’m planning on using an old 500Gb USB HDD. It’s nothing critical so if fails don’t mind reinstalling etc. Only for basic tasks.

Thanks

dimme

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Yes you can. I have had the best luck using thunderbolt drives and a USB flash drive for the install image. You will need access to a windows machine with a program called rufas to create the USB install image. If you don't want to use a thunderbolt drive it is still possible but there will be a few more steps. You can find those instructions on this form.
Good Luck

Comment

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Run Windows To Go From an External Drive Using WinToUSB. Windows To Go is a feature that lets you install a Windows system on an external hard drive, which you can then boot into from any Mac.

Any links please? Is this a built in system to Windows, or just some script that someone has put together?

Thanks

Comment

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Any links please? Is this a built in system to Windows, or just some script that someone has put together?

Thanks

You'll need a working PC with Windows or Linux installed to do this. Instruction below.

Comment

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
Just want to point out that:

"Windows To Go is removed in Windows 10, version 2004 and later operating systems. The feature does not support feature updates and therefore does not enable you to stay current."

Another method you can use to install a full version, that I've used previously:
https://eshop.macsales.com/blog/40947-tech-tip-how-to-use-boot-camp-on-an-external-drive/. There are a couple similar guides around using VMBox to install on an external.

I had problems on my iMac where it would power down the USB ports on sleep (including the windows external), though this can be disabled in advanced power settings.

Comment

Jessica555

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
I suggest building a Windows To Go device with your external HDD so you can directly run Windows from HDD, which is more convenient than virtual machine. I did this on an external portable SSD two weeks ago and it worked fine.

First, you need to create a Windows To Go drive with third-party software, like UUByte WintoUSB Pro. You can also do this on a Enterprise edition Windows 10, which requires a Windows To Go certified drive, and it seems not the case for you.

Next, connect the drive on your Mac and boot from it by pressing the Option key. And start the Windows 10 installation process.

Once finished, you have to activate Windows 10 with a valid license key and download missing driver.

For more details, you can refer to this page:https://www.uubyte.com/install-windows-10-from-usb-on-mac.html

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.