Can I install Win7 w/ Bootcamp, using the bluetooth keyboard?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hoggle, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Hoggle macrumors newbie

Maybe a silly question, but just want to make sure before I do this. I picked up a new 21.5" iMac this week, and I want to purchase Windows 7 to run games in bootcamp mode. (I'm really looking forward to try out The Witcher 2). I have read through various tutorials, as well as watched a few youtube videos, and it seems simple enough.

My question is that once I get to the point of using the Windows7 install disc, can I use my wireless bluetooth keyboard that came with the iMac? I realize that after the windows disc, I would use the OSX install disc for adding drivers to the Windows side...Before doing this, will I be able to operate the keyboard, and magic mouse?

Thanks for any info. It seems like the problem some people have is getting a black screen from windows, but then I have read a solution is to make sure everything on the Mac side is up to date before starting this.

2. GrantMeThePower macrumors regular

Hi there.

I just did bootcamp today on my 2011 iMac. The answer is, "yes, you can".

There is no problem using the regular wireless (bluetooth) keyboard and magic mouse for the install process of windows 7 (i even used the magic trackpad!).

When windows first starts up it wont have the advanced drivers so you'll have no sound and lo res video etc. The bootcamp install disc will get all of that on there for you.

I'm actually posting from windows 7 right now while downloading the witcher 2!

3. Hoggle thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! Thanks, that was just the answer I was hoping to hear.