Can I install Windows 10 through Bootcamp from a USB Jump Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Technologx, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Technologx macrumors member

Technologx

Alright I seen this post and read it Boot Camp Assistant 6.0.1 not installing Windows 10 ISO? Asks for USB? but I was wondering is it possible to do a new install of Windows 10 no upgrade through Bootcamp using a USB Jump Drive? The reason I ask is because the optical drive on my Macbook quit working out of nowhere . The BootCamp version I'm using is 6.0.1.

MacBook, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

2. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

Yes, you can use BootCamp to create the USB installer from the ISO and install it as well. However, be warned that you must have a Mac compatible with Windows 10. The BootCamp installer will tell you which version of Windows it is compatible with, i.e. if it says install Windows 7 or 8 it probably won't let you install 10.

3. Chuck Kostalnick macrumors demi-god

Chuck Kostalnick

You will need to find the ISO from another source than Microsoft, however. I learned the hard way that after I purchased Windows 10, the only download I was given was a .exe, which is useless for Bootcamp (Unless I already had a Bootcamp Instance installed).

Just check the website you download your ISO from. If it's shady, or you haven't heard of it before, steer clear.

4. Technologx thread starter macrumors member

Technologx

I got the iso file from the Microsoft site and I followed this video to create the install jump drive.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 3, 2016 ---
    How do I see if my Mac is compatible with Win10?

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

6. Technologx thread starter macrumors member

Technologx

7. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

You could try a little harder to find your answers. It is pretty hard to answer that question since you do not provide any information about your Mac model. :confused:

In the "Learn more" section in the link I provided in post #5 there is a link "Use Windows 8.1 on your Mac with Boot Camp".

8. Technologx thread starter macrumors member

Technologx

My Mac model info is in my sig and thank you for helping out and the link.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 3, 2016 ---
    Well it seems like I need a updated Macbook if only they weren't so dang expensive.

9. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

I know the feeling. I was going to use my old MacBook to mess around with Windows 10, but I realized that it has the right EFI version to boot it up but the drivers aren't up to date from Apple. So, I would suggest maybe trying Windows 8, just don't try to update to 10 as you'll probably have the same issue I had with out-of-date drivers.

10. Technologx thread starter macrumors member

Technologx

Well according to apple's website my Mac isn't even compatible with Win8. So now my new issue is figuring out how to install Win7 using a Jump Drive since my optical drive(CD/DVD Reader) quit working.

11. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

It's the same process, you just have to use a Windows 7 ISO instead of 10.

12. Technologx thread starter macrumors member

Technologx

How would I go about copying the iso file to the jump drive would I do sudo dd if=/Users/Kevin/Desktop/Win7.iso of=/dev/disk1 bs=1m or use Unetbootin?

13. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, I've never used the terminal commands to do it, so I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else has more info on it.

14. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

According to this Apple page (no guarantee if it is up to date) you need a working optical drive (internal or external) for a Windows 7 install:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205016
    Here are some instructions on how to get around the superdrive (you still need an external optical drive), but it is not simple and I have no experience with this process:
    https://www.jacobtomlinson.co.uk/20...7-on-a-2011-macbook-pro-without-a-superdrive/

15. Technologx thread starter macrumors member

Technologx

Thanks I'll just wait until I get a external optical drive