Can I install Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on an original Aluminum Macbook?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jbg232, Jan 8, 2010.

1. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

As the title suggests, can I install Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on an original Aluminum Macbook?

I ultimately want to install Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on VMWare Fusion 3 on my original macbook aluminum but am not sure if the processory is 64-bit capable. Is anyone aware? Ultimately the goal is to run 64-bit office 2010 in unity mode.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I've tried to do it on my Alu MacBook and Boot Camp said that it wasn't supported on this model. 32 bit worked fine.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Its not supported but it doesn't mean it doesn't work. 64-bit windows does work on the aluminum macbook. I've tried it before.

4. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

I'm not interested in installing it as a Boot Camp, I want to install it virtualized with VMWare Fusion 3.0 (which I own and like). My question is if anyone has 64 bit Windows 7 Professional installed on a VMWare virtual machine under snow leopard with the original macbook aluminum.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why?

I mean there's really little reason to install the 64bit flavor of win7 when you're dealing with vmware. Its not like you'll be allocating > 4gig to the guest OS nor will any apps run faster because its 64bit (thanks to the VM overhead).

6. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

Because I like the feel of Windows 7 over XP and I have access to the Professional 64-bit OEM for cheaper than the other versions. Plus, 64-bit Office 2010 I assume will run faster in a 64-bit environment which is my ultimate goal.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Doesn't matter. If boot camp supports it, then VMWare Fusion will also. Fusion only requires you to have a 64-bit processor, which you do.

Not true. Virtualized, you won't get any 64-bit speed boosts and even if you do, its so small that you won't even notice.

8. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

Well if I'm going to install Windows 7 anyway I see no reason not to install the 64-bit version. And if I'm going to buy Office 2010 anyway I also see no reason not to buy the 64-bit version. Am I missing something here?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No but as noted, you'll not be taking advantage of what 64bit brings.

I'm curious what does office 2010 64bit provide that's not available in the 32bit version.

the reason why I ask is so many people want 64bit because most don't fully understand what it does and does not do. Many think its bigger so it must be better and faster.

Just because its 64bit does not mean it will run faster or better. In fact many programs will consume more resources because the system will have to allocate larger memory structures to handle the 64bit address space and not too many programs are compiled to take advantage of the 64bit registers. Even those that are, will not realized a huge increase in performance. Take MS word, a 64bit version of that probably won't be any faster then its smaller 32bit brother.