Can I install Windows XP or 7 64-bit on a Macbook?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by surprise!, Jan 10, 2010.

1. surprise! macrumors newbie

I'm just looking for some clarification.

I have a unibody Macbook from 2009 running Leopard and I really want to partition my hard drive and install XP (or 7), but I only have access to the 64-bit versions.

I've heard that Macbooks can only run 32-bit, but not 64- is this true?

Any advice would be welcome.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Just wait for Apple to release their Windows 7 drivers. They should be coming out shortly. You will be able to run 64 bit Windows 7 after that.

3. Paul B macrumors 6502

You'll have no problems with the 64-bit Windows 7.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Two things to consider.

All Macs except for the first 2006 Core Solo/Core Duo ones have 64 bit compatible CPUs and can run Windows in 64 bit mode.

Even if you only have the 64 bit edition you may be able to install the 32 bit version with the same key if you can get the right install media.

B

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As balamw stated, that you should be able to run the 64bit flavor as long as you don't have a core duo cpu. With that said, if you don't have > 4gig there's little reason for the 64bit OS

6. surprise! thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

I did a lot of searching before I actually posted this, but apparently I didn't look in the right places.

I found out that yes I do actually have 64-bit, since I have Core 2Duo... so that solves all my problems.

But thanks to everyone who gave advice!!!