Can I install XP over Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by S-Man, Apr 13, 2011.

1. S-Man macrumors regular

S-Man

So I recently got a new HDD, did a clean install of OSX, and while I was at it, I bought Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Previous to the HDD upgrade, I was running Windows XP.
    The only thing I use Windows for is Games (Bad Company 2) and Quickbooks. That's it. I thought Windows 7 would help run games smoother, but it turns out it's more choppy now and the framerate has dropped.

TL;DR: Can I install windows XP over windows 7 without a problem? Or do I need to do something else? Would I have to do a clean install of the whole OS's? Thanks in advance.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You won't directly be able to install XP over 7. You'll have to use bootcamp assistant to erase the windows partition and create a new one.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That will work, however...

You should be able to simply: Reboot the Mac using the XP install disc holding Alt/Option. Reformat the Boot Camp partition from the XP installer (as you do to switch from FAT32->NTFS in the usual install) and forge ahead.

B

4. S-Man thread starter macrumors regular

S-Man

^ When you do this, it usually asks what OS you want to boot from. Will there be an option to boot from the XP disc or how would it work?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes, you will see the OS X partition, the Win 7 partition and the CD. Pick the CD.

You will also have to use Alt to select the Windows XP partition when it wants to reboot during the install.

B